Thursday, June 8, 2017

Seize The Birthday - extra toppings for me please!

Hello friends welcome to another Seize The Birthday celebration where the "toppings" are as sweet as our fearless leader Nancy Leppek!



The toppings option this round is:
One Layer Card

If you're not a toppings kinda person, well.....you can just
stick with our usual "Anything Goes"Birthday!


The choice is always yours!

Now on to my card : )



I started out with an A2 size card.  I began by stamping my sweet little image directly on to my card stock.  Then I made a mask and covered her while I made my background.  I tore some Post-It paper and masked off the lower portion of the card and inked up some "grass and then some sky and clouds and some soft circles too!!  Just about this time I really goofed up the upper left side of my card with a big black finger print! (where did that come from!?!) sigh.  Hmmmm ...well as I always say "mistakes are just opportunities" right! LOL so I cut down my paper eliminating the smudge.  I colored my little gal, stamped my sentiment and popped the whole thing up with foam tape and attached it to a new A2 size card.  Perfect right!?! ummmmm well it might have been if this was not supposed to be a ONE LAYER CARD! ahem!!

Ok so back to the drawing board as they say : )



This time I began by masking off the top and left side of the card to give the same layered look of my first card.  Then I recreated my card with just a few changes : )   I am glad I made my mistake because it enabled me to demonstrate (even if only to myself) how a One Layer Card can look every bit as sweet as a card with layers! And it's cheaper to mail too!! : )

Now can we have a collective Awwww! for my all time favorite Penny Black stamp set : ) #30-235 Cake & Wishes.  I really love the adorable faces in this set.  Bear with me while I pitch another great set by Penny Black with these same sweet faces:  #30-242 Way Cool.

Ok friends here are some STB challenge rule reminders for you.  I really hope you will consider joining us for this challenge that goes for two weeks giving you lots of time to link up!

Challenge Rules (to keep things fair):
1. You must make a BIRTHDAY PROJECT, however our topping is always optional.
2. You may link up to 3 projects for each challenge.
3. Please add a direct link to your blog or to an online gallery.
4. You may combine this challenge with up to 4 other challenges and we would really love for you to add one of our graphics to your post.
5. As always, please have fun and make the challenge your own! All products are welcome!

Happy Thursday and thank you so much for stopping by. Have a wonderful day! : )

Patti

Supplies:

#30-235 Cake & Wishes by Penny Black
#30-297 Sprinkles and Smiles by Penny Black
#30-353 Words of Kindness by Penny Black
Images colored with Prisma Pencils shaded with Gamsol

24 comments:

cm said...

I adore both your cards..dreamy, airy backgrounds that are the perfect soft canvases for your sweet little girls! Masking marvelous, too! That big cupcake...oh my! I want one proportioned to my size! Yum! Charming and delightful, my friend!
Hugs~c

cm said...

I'm back...just too a look at the stamp set and yes, AWWWWWW is most appropriate! Those images are adorable!
Hugs~c

Mac Mable said...

So sweet and loving the soft colours and the masking. Laughed about your first card x Gorgeous and adorable stamps and thank you for the gorgeous inspiration x

Lisa Elton said...

Oodles of cuteness Patti!! I love both of these sweet little girls and the soft colors you used. The chunky polka dots in the backgrounds and lemon yellow inking are the icing on the cake..... uhhh cupcake!!

Happy Dance said...

I had to chuckle about your finger print, as I've done the same thing more than once! I like how you saved the pretty card front just by trimming it down (I usually mess up right in the center, lol). And you've made a sweet, sweet one-layer cuppity-cake card as well! She is a dolly! So nice to see you back in blogland and I hope things are going well for you. xo Bev

Linda said...

Patti, both of these cards are so adorable and I love the softness of them. Great card, my friend.

sandie said...

Such sweet colours and love the soft background

Carole Z said...

These are both so cute! I love the images and the soft colours you have used are perfect, hugs Carole Z X

Marcia Hill said...

I'd say your black smudge worked to your advantage Patti, as now you have 2 absolutely adorable cards!! I love your background in both cards...reminds me a little of the bokeh technique! And those little girls are just too sweet and colored perfectly!! Perfection my friend!! :0)

Bobby said...

The coloring on your cards is so soft and beautiful, Patti. Smudges happen. It's what you do to overcome them that's important and you did it right.

Anonymous said...

I totally loved both the cards, Patti! The fingerprint happens too many times to me, especially when using distress inks for blending (I would just stomp a circle in the middle of a well blended surface) or the drop my black ink pad on the card...you name it!! But I think your cards came out superbly - in fact, it looks so well, I actually thought it was two layers! :)
xx Ashwini

Verna Angerhofer said...

Oh, my! How cute and adorable are those cards you made. I love the soft colors on them and those images are just so fun!

Kim Heggins said...

Adorable...simply adorable! Love those soft sweet look you created on both of your cards, so in love with them.

Lyn said...

Dreamy adorable cards <3, Great save. Such a treat to see you posting again. I will have to check this challenge out as what a great way to get a little stash of birthday cards going :) Hugs.....Lyn

Barbara said...

You have a very creative artistic touch and I love both of these cards. I loved your comments on how you made them, with the messes and all. Welcome to my world. Penny black stamps are my new favorites.

shirley-bee said...

I love both versions, Patti!

Nancy said...

These are terrific! I agree with Barbara you do have an artistic ability for sure! I also like the way you took your mistake and went with it. Really love the subtle backgrounds a lot! Hope you have a wonderful day and enjoyed your Birthday week!

TaeEun said...

What a sweet birthday cards, Patti! I love both version of your cards! The soft and subtle background is so lovely! I have the same PB stamp sets, like the cute characters on them. Do they (the girl and the boy) have names like Mimi?

Colleen said...

Patti, WOW, I wish my mistakes could look as good as yours! I love how you made this a one layer, but added enough background for a lot of dimension and those girls are just too precious...might have to buy yet another PB stamp!! Thanks friend!! Hope you are having a lovely weekend!!

Birgit said...

What a great opportunity to overcome a mistake. Both cards are so darling Patti! Your second card is so cleverly done giving the look of layers the way you did. You're always an inspiration to me!

Lynne in NI said...

Aww these are so sweet! Your masked 2nd one definitely gives the impression of layering, I'm going to give that a go!

Glenda J said...

This is so adorable! Love your background. Your colouring is terrific too.

JoAnn said...

Love both of your cards. So soft and pretty.
Great save with the first card. Needless to say, I think we have all done that, I know I have.

Cathy said...

Wonderful cards, love the bokeh effect in the background, Cathy x