Sunday, August 24, 2014
Stamp-A-Faire The Regency Era
I had thought of Stamp-A-Faire 2014 as a one day event but I have learned that it really is more of a weekend event. I am excited about that because I clearly needed more time for my travel through time : )
Melissa Phillips has presented a lovely challenge video HERE. If you like The Recency Era you are sure to enjoy Melissa's blog and card style. Here is what Melissa writes:
The Regency Era is such a romantic era to gather inspiration from. In the early 1820’s you would have found lovely, ornate, gold fixtures and decor in the homes. Intricate, flowing penmanship - something that seems time has lost between that era and this generation, but is definitely a cherished trademark of that time. Needlepoint ranging from scarves, head coverings, gloves, to stockings, and then on into the home for added elements of beauty and comfort. The power of the written word, as we well know from Jane Austen, was flowing and an essential part of life. The “flowering of the arts”, has been used as a definition for this time period in reference to paintings and poetry. It seems that everything was ornate and embellished, whether it was the clothing worn by the men and women, or the decor found inside the homes, “flamboyant” is a word that has been used to define this wonderful era.
I wanted to focus on the needlepoint portion of Melissa's challenge so I added cross stitching to my card. Before I show how I did it let me build the card so you'll have a better chance of following my process : )
I started with a cream cs by PTI. I selected a soft sage cs (unknown company). I "debossed" the sage cs with a Anna Griffin 5 x 7" die called "Flower Bramble". Next I cut another piece of cream cs and a matching piece of vellum. I stamped a cluster of roses from PTI's Life is Sweet stamp set in a soft brown ink on the cream cs. I layered the vellum on top of the cream cs and then I was ready to add my cross stitch.
I found a stitching "font" I wanted to use and then I created a little pattern for it on 8.5 squares per inch grid paper. Next I layered my pattern carefully over my card stock and vellum overlay and placed it on a piece of Styrofoam. Using a piercing tool I made tiny holes where they would normally be on Aida cloth for ease when I was doing the actual sewing.
The rest of the card came together in a snap. You will notice I finally got to add some polka dots LOL as well as a snippet of a beautiful cream leafy trim from my LSS (which is NBUS) : )
That's it for the Regency Era for me! now I'm off to the Roaring 20's with Heather Nichols. I hope you'll stop back to see what I've got in store for you next! : )