Saturday, April 16, 2016

Happy Anniversary!

My sister, Susan from A Splash Of Color3 blog,  and her husband are celebrating their 39th wedding anniversary!

Happy Anniversary to my two favorite Human BEANS!! : )




I am playing along with Tic-Tac Toe Challenge today using the diagonal challenge and the color inspiration!  I think this is my first time for playing with Stamping Smiles Designs : ) I hope you will consider joining the fun too!!





When it comes to buying papercrafting supplies I am great at keeping my credit card company busy but I have to say I am usually really slow at getting on board with purchasing the newest products.  Wink of Stella is one of these products.  Not new by any means but I purchased my first tube at Michael's just  two days ago. I really was not sure what it was - except it applied glitter to your project. Got glitter? - I'm in!!

See how the ink has gotten up on to the black part of the pen and escaped so you can see glitter on the black nib holding the brush?  Is this normal?
I opened the package and found no instructions (in any language) as to how to activate the flow of the "ink" .  It took me a while and then I gathered that I needed to screw off the top and prick a hole in the base of the pen.  Ah! when I did that I realized that the black ring was keeping the brush and the ink from meeting so I took the black ring off! I think I realize now that if I had taken the black ring off first and screwed it back together the top of the pen would have punctured the bottom on it's own.

Anyway after it was closed back up I squeezed on the pen base where it says "PUSH" and nothing really happened.  Again I was not altogether sure what to expect.  Finally I kept squeezing it and noticed a big glob of silver glitter paint ooozing down toward the brush and actually coming out of the top threatening a big glob to fall.

Once I grabbed the ink blog on a tissue I started painting this delicate little amount of micro fine glitter to a flower on one of my cards and fell completely IN LOVE with the beautiful shimmer it left!

SO! my question!? Did I happen to do this right?  or is my pen defective?  Is the ink/paint supposed to be able to escape and glob out?  Is that little black ring supposed to stay in tact?

LauraJane of After Hours Ink and Flowers blog said she struggles with it globbing out too -  did we both get a defective pen??

Thank you so much for your help!! I appreciate hearing your comments and suggestions.

Thank yu for stopping by!  Have a great weekend!

Patti

21 comments:

Karen B. said...

I wrecked my first project because a huge glob came out the first time using it. My pen looks like this too. I don't think it is defective, just normal. In my opinion anyway! What a beautiful card!

Lynne in NI said...

Hmmm, are you storing your pen upright with the nib upwards? I've had a couple of glitter pens - the Wink of Stella one was definitely more free flowing than the Spectrum Noir one I'm using now, it seems to be much easier to control. I find that I just need to give it a bit of a shake and the slightest squeeze and it's grand.

Lynne in NI said...

Forgot to say, your card is gorgeous!

Bananastamper said...

Beautiful anniversary card! Love the texture! I am inexperienced with Wink of Stella - it did buy one, but I don't think I've used it yet!
Thanks for your visit!
Have a lovely weekend,
Shanna :)

LauraJane:) said...

That is what my pen looks like..i took it apart and cleaned out the glob of glitter...sparkles are all over me now:)) Just call me Tinkerbell!
I'll see what happens now. Oh, and if I recall a video by Jennifer McGuire, we were supposed to remove that black ring.
Your card is lovely, embossed layered under pattern di-cut paper, very nice!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Love this!

sandie said...

Stunning texture...no time to read full post sorry but wanted to comment on yet another gorgeous card xx

Kelly said...

cute card. I replaced my empty one and could not remember for the life of me how to get it going. You are right: no instructions. In fact, this was weeks ago. Not sure I ever got it going so I will check later today and see if is working. The struggle is real sometimes in crafting. so, no, it is not you... it's the pen. LOVE it when it works though! and I do remember getting a huge glob on my first project.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful card! I did a google search and this link to a video by Kristina Werner is one of the first choices. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbYZPIvXnAk She shows how to start the pen and shares a few tips. Hope this helps!

Mac Mable said...

Gorgeous texture on your beautiful card. I bought one of these glitter pens ages ago and too can remember the blob of glitter glue but they really are very pretty and your pen looks like it will be OK? x

Unknown said...

Beautiful card Patti. I love how you layered the different techniques. If I got it right you have embossing on the white, then cardstock and paper that is die cut. Such a really cool card. Makes me want to try!

Happy Dance said...

I bought my WoS pen so long ago, that I don't remember how I got it to work. It is all messy on the clear plastic part, but works fine. I love this stuff! And speaking of loving...This card is brilliant and I do love it. All that texture behind those hearts is amazing. And what beautiful patterned paper, too. This is delightful. I've popped over and left a comment on your sister's blog too. Have a great Sunday. Bev

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your card is so beautiful! I love your design and color choices. And, my Wink of Stella pen looks just like yours. It works fine though!

Pam Sparks said...

There were instructions on my packages when I got them. It was when they first came out. Mine have never globbed out! They all work great! bummer for you though! I've had plenty of other things not work right or quit working. Dried up sets of Dr. Martins watercolors, Distress acrylic dabbers, tons of gel pens and glaze pens... yep... grrrr hehe

Nora Noll said...

Aren't you supposed to take the black ring off to activate the pen? Not sure as I cannot remember if I had to do anything special. LOVE your anniversary card. The hearts and the embossed white paper are just stunning together!!

Lisa Elton said...

You know, I didn't have to do anything to my WOS for it to work LOL!! I just took the cap off and the glitter paints beautifully onto the paper. Mine in the clear, don't know if that makes a difference. I would go to the company website or look up YouTube videos on it. PRETTY card for the happy couple! Congrats on 39 years to them!!

Unknown said...

This is lovely! I love the texture on your card!!
& yes i do believe you are supossed to take the black ring off the pen before shaking it up! Hope you get it figured it out!:)
Thanks for joining us at Stamping Smile Designs Tic-Tac-Toe challenge!

A splash of color said...

Patti, Thanks for my card. It is so pretty I love the embossing behind the hearts. Your the best.

Beth F. said...

First of all, your card is so beautiful! I love it! Second of all, I have heard so much about wink of stella but have yet to try it. I don't get to craft stores very often, so thank you for your insight on this product. I suppose as long as one knows how to prep it, it will add beautiful glitter to projects, but in the meantime it would be a pain trying to figure it out!

Taunya Butler said...

WOW, incredible card - love the awesome details and you are a genius at card making!!!

Sadie said...

Very pretty card! I have that pen and it always worked for me. It also never had a black ring in it like you are showing. It's not you it's the pen!