Saturday, August 23, 2014

A visit to Ancient Rome! with PTI



Today is Stamp-A-Faire at Papertrey Ink.  For this long awaited event we will be traveling through time to many different eras stopping to learn about the art of the time as well as the music!

Lizzie Jones presented two wonderful video tutorials HERE - sharing techniques to replicate the art of Ancient Rome.  My card this morning is my take on her challenge.



I was unable to get any Embossing Paste in time for this event so I decided to create my own faux mosiac background simply by cutting up paper shapes and gluing them to my card base.  I selected a pp from CTMH and roughly cut mosiac shapes, adhered them to my cs and "antiqued" them using a sponge and ink.  I stamped a leaf design randomly all over the background using Limitless Layers Stamp Set by  PTI. 

Next I took a solid gray piece of cs and trimmed and cut out a window opening. I antiqued it a little using a sponge and gray ink.  I then stamped the same leaf design from Limitless Layers on the bottom of this section using gray ink.  I layered a rough "mosaic" portion of the pp and layered it behind my solid cs.  I popped this portion up with foam tape.

I cut a strip for my sentiment and again stamped my leaf design from Limitless Layers Stamp Set and finally stamped my sentiment over the top in green ink from Dawn's Boutique Borders: Friends PTI Stamp Set.

This card is SO not me! LOL but that is the fun of participating in an event like this.  We get to try new techniques and styles : ) Because of Lizzie's inspirational videos I WILL be trying the embossing paste! just as soon as I can get my hands on some.

I have to admit I'll be excited when we get to the "Polka Dot Era" : )...... is there such a thing?? LOL

I'll be back in a little while with the next leg of my journey today with Papertrey Ink's Stamp-A-Faire"  Please consider joining the fun!! There are prizes - woo hoo!!

Patti

Supplies:

Solid cs by SU
Patterned paper by CTMH
Window die from Spellbinders
leaf die stamp from Limitless Layers Stamp Set by PTI
Sentiment from the Boutique Borders: Friends Stamp Set by PTI

10 comments:

Lizzie Jones said...

Patti, you did a great job of making the challenge work for you. I'm usually a polka dots and plaids kind of girl myself, so it was fun to push my boundaries with these techniques, too! Thank you so much for playing along today!

She's A Busy Girl said...

Your card is just stunning! I love that you kept it so soft!

Peanut said...

Elegant an romantic. You've definitely captured all that is beautiful in ancient Rome. Have fun at the faire, my friend!
hugs, Asha

*Vicki* said...

So beautiful!! Really love the mosaic design on this!! HUGS

Carole Z said...

You have made this challenge your own with this stunning card Patti, definitely evokes ancient Rome, love it! Hugs Carole Z X

KT Fit Kitty said...

Beautiful card, Patti! Love the technique you used!

Hugs,
Kitty

Lynne in NI said...

Your mosaic BG is fabulous Patti, how clever! Love your stamped panel too.
We were in Rome a few years ago, would love to go back!

Pink Peep said...

Wonderful! The colors are so soft and beautiful! I bought some embossing paste a while ago and used it for the first time this weekend. Will be using it often and buying more. I love the texture it gives to a card! jane

Taunya Butler said...

Loving the mosaic and marble-y look to this card!! Fantastically done!!

Helen F. said...

Great card, you are too clever Patti! I was trying to think of a way to make a mosaic card, but totally blanked out.