Friday, March 25, 2016

Papertrey March Blog Hop Challenge

Today is the Papertrey Ink March Blog Hop!!  and I just can't wait to see all the amazing cards that will be presented today!

In 2000 my sister Susan sent me this amazing gift.  It is an embroidery technique she had just learned called Brazilian Embroidery.



Soon after - and over long distance! she began to teach me this lovely craft.  Susan lives in Washington state and I was in Wisconsin at the time.  If you can believe it she taught me with a short video she sent and with sending samples back and forth through the mail and over the phone! LOL She is very patient. : )



Once you get the hang of it - it really is not that hard.  What is hard. however, is stitching on PAPER! giggles!! Here is my card and a little about my process : )



I started with the "Cast On Flower" on the upper left of the card.  I marked the back of the card so I would know where to put my stitches.  It was hard to get my needle into the cs without bending it and when I had only cast a few stitches they began to slip.  My solution was to tape the back after each stitch to hold the thread.  That was perfect for the first flower but soon I was not only stitching through the cs but also through tape : ( which made my needle a little bit sticky and that split my thread and pretty soon all of my stitches looked frayed and messy : ( shucks!



I forged on like any self respecting paper crafter would! LOL  I was getting worried about the stability of the cs when I finally placed my last flower in the lower left corner.  I decided to make a light and easy flower.  Before I finished my flower the little french knot on the right Pistil fell out.  Gulp!! I was not sure how I was going to fix that!!. I kept going trying not to make it worse when I messed up the lower portion and I knew I was sunk!



In embroidery when you mess up it is really not that big of a deal.  Paper is not as forgiving so I had holes in the paper and no way to really pull my threads from the back because of the tape.  My solution!? ADD PAPER! : )



Who would ever guess the MESS that lies beneath that lovely button card! heeheehee

This was a wonderful challenge.  I love doing embroidery.  My sister Susan has a bran new blog!! called Splash of Color.  She credits me as her papercrafting mentor but she is a super talented Watercolor Artist among many many other amazing talents. I think every single craft I have ever done (and there have been zillions!) Susan has been the one to teach and encourage me.  Please visit her blog HERE and leave her some love : )

Thank you for hanging in there with me in this long post.  I just can't wait to see all that you will create for the HOP today.  I may be a bit slow commenting but I will get to everyone I promise : )

Have a hopping good day!

Patti


36 comments:

Manuela said...

lovely stitched flowers, pretty card!

LauraJane:) said...

Stitchy Goodness!! Your embroidery is SUPER Patti! Clever design:)

Joyously Noelle said...

Wow! Amazing stitched flowers! It makes a sweet card too.

Linda said...

Beautiful job, Patti. I didn't attempt any stitching. It's not for me, although I have done some embroidery in my younger years. lol. Where in Washington does your sister live? If you ever get out here to visit her, I would love to meet you.

Mac Mable said...

I have never ever seen anything like this before on card. It is stunning and so very beautiful. I really enjoyed reading this blog post, the step by step and your inspiration...your sister. The most magnificent, striking and wow card, fabulous colours and layout and a real treat. Thank you so much for sharing x

Unknown said...

WOW! How creative! Lovely creation! Me and fabric and thread do not mix lol Happy Spring!

Anonymous said...

WOWeeee Patti! These flowers are a work of art!!!!!!

A splash of color said...

Great job Patti. I love the flowers and the patience it took to make them on paper.. WOW. I also love that you are creative enough to save the card by putting on the extra layer of paper :) Susan

paperkicks said...

Patti--your card and embroidery are outstanding! Love the layering effect, too! Super!!

Miriam Prantner said...

This is wonderful! I love the embroidery!

Judi G said...

Beautiful card! Love your embroidery on the button card!

Karen B. said...

I have a long distance sister as well, she in NC and I in WI. Your card is just gorgeous, and I can imagine even more so up close. Glad that everything worked out so we could see this lovely creation!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Pretty card! Thanks for hopping over to say hello! : )

Betty Wright said...

GORGEOUS, Patti! Beautiful colors and amazing stitching!

lainey said...

Incredible work of art! I did a bit of stitching on my card so know what you mean. I really missed my embroidery hoop! lol

Connie MacFarlane said...

Absolutely gorgeous stitched flowers! Love this card. Despite the challenges you did a fabulous job. Embroidery on paper is a bit tricky.

Joyce said...

This is amazing. Your stitching is gorgeous and so unique. How fun to see the back and how messy it is compared to the front.

The Paper Toile said...

Wow! Truly amazing card!

Birgit said...

What??? Patti, this is crazy beautiful! I'm in awe of your many talents!! I just love the stitched flowers on that sweet button card. Button cards just make my heart swoon too. You are an amazingly gifted crafter, Patti.
Have a blessed Easter, my friend!

Diana K said...

Now I remember why I always loved visiting your blog so much - I always end up LOL and that's good for me. Love your embroidery (looks like crochet work to me) and the beautiful card that you ended up with! What a saga - I say that Nichole should have first tried stitching on cardstock before making us do it. I only did a little bit, and pierced my holes first, but it was a royal mess!

Kathy Mc said...

WOW, Patti, patience is definitely a virtue and you have lots of that. So glad you managed to salvage your hard work and turn it in to a real work of art. Your card is beautiful.

Marcia Hill said...

WOW!!! I am in awe of this beautifully stitched card Patti! Everything about your embroidery is just stunning, and I love how kept going even when the paper was tearing! (I wonder if watercolor cardstock would have been stronger??) And I loved your story how your sister taught you this embroidery technique over the phone...that is true sisterly love! But anyway, lovely, lovely card!! :0)

Colleen said...

Okay Patti, I think you take the Gold medal!!!...stunning card and fabulous stitching!! So glad you persevered!!

Rema DeLeeuw said...

Simply beautiful!

Greta said...

Wow--you 2 are talented! Beautiful stitching--beautiful card!

Peanut said...

Oh my word!!! That is some talent, Patti! Great job, my friend!
x Asha

Cindy H. said...

Gorgeous card! I really enjoyed reading about your process and you came up with the perfect solution - add more paper! :) Your embroidery is lovely!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, what wonderful projects!

Marybeth said...

Wow Patti! Ok, I comment from beginning and then when I come back I start at the end, sorry your in the middle :)
Your sister Susan’s work is a keepsake for sure! Oh my gosh on your beautiful card! Love the way it came about ad the back made me simile because it looks like many of mine. God bless you and have a Happy Easter, dear friend!

A Crafty Person said...

Oh My Gosh!! Your embroiery is beautiful just like your sister's. You have both given me a fresh new desire to use Brazilian Embroidery with my stamp sets. GENUIS!!!!

Lynne in NI said...

Oh W-O-W that looks amazing! Great cover up too ;)

Jacquie Southas said...

Oh my goodness, Patti, this is gorgeous! I loved everything about your card and especially the way you saved the stitched panel with your sentiment banner!

Lisa Elton said...

Oh just stop it!!! This is so incredibly gorgeous Patti. It's delicate, vintagey yet modern. I love everything about it, well done!

Kim Heggins said...

WOW!!!! this is one amazing card. What a wonderful and beautiful creation and I love that you shared a photo of the back of your work. That is just the way all of my stitching projects look on the back.

Monika/Buzsy said...

Amazing card Patti. Love the little flowers. It must have taking you a long time to do all those stitching... great solution to cover up the last flower...

weim house said...

Wow! Beautiful!